top of page
Federal Skilled Trades Program
The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade
Get your permanent resident visa through this program to live permanently in Canada. 
In order to qualify through Federal Skilled Trades Program  (FSTP), you have to follow the Express Entry route.
You can learn more about Express Entry here. 

Minimum Requirements:


To be eligible, you must:


  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec


(Note: The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),


  • meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening)


  • have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,


  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification,




  • have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority


Skilled Work Experience


Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these major and minor groups of the NOC:


  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,

  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,

  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production,

  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,

  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and

  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.


These major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations. (All are NOC skill type B.)


You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.


If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, IRCC will not accept your application.




There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you either need:


  • a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree


  • a completed foreign credential, and

  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC. [The report must show your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.]


Language Ability


You must:


  • meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 for reading and writing, and

  • take a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.


You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.



Technical Supervisor

Technical Supervisor

Constuction Worker

Constuction Worker

Construction Worker

Construction Worker



Worker Sandblasting Wall

Worker Sandblasting Wall

Skilled Trades Person

Skilled Trades Person

Skilled Trades Person

Skilled Trades Person


bottom of page